Letter from the Editors

State of The Citizen

On July 1, the IUPUI split was finalized. As the two universities, now Indiana University Indianapolis (IUI) and Purdue University in Indianapolis (PUI), launch into an unprecedented era, information on these changes becomes more important than ever. 

Since our inception in 1971 as The Sagamore, we have prided ourselves on being committed to serving our local community and providing coverage for students, created by student journalists. 

Although The Campus Citizen exists as an organization under IUI, we are still an independent news organization, and pledge to cover news that is relevant to both IUI and PUI students, as well as news that is relevant to the wider Indianapolis community.  

Students from either IUI or PUI who are interested in getting involved with student journalism are welcome to join our staff. Information about joining staff, along with meeting times and locations, will be available on The Spot, our website, and at tabling events around campus. Interested students can also contact us via email at thecampuscitizen@gmail.com

While we are functioning with essentially the same resources as before, we recognize the unique challenges and opportunities we face as the first staff post-split. In addition to regular coverage of campus events, culture, sports, and politics, we will continue to inform students on changes being made as an ongoing result of the split. 

Some of the major topics we have covered in the past year have ranged from housing and campus updates, to student’s free speech expression, to bills impacting education in Indiana, to new campus leadership

In the future we look forward to providing even more stories on topics such as the 2024 presidential election, how the current Indiana political climate affects students, the installation of a new athletic center, and so much more.

Hanne Brandgard, Editor-in-Chief

Ashley Wilson, Culture Editor

Abby Godsen, Campus Editor

Hery Acosta, Sports Editor

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Campus Citizen, IUPUI